The Northern Nevada Alliance for Health and Justice is a medical-legal partnership (MLP) between Northern Nevada HOPES, a federally qualified health center, and Washoe Legal Services (WLS), a legal aid agency, created to provide legal services to individuals in order to improve health outcomes. MLPs integrate the unique expertise of lawyers into health care settings to help clinicians, case managers, and social worker address structural problems at the root of so many health inequities.
The MLP attorney will provide legal advice, counsel, and representation to individuals experiencing health-harming social conditions identified by Northern Nevada HOPES and other community health partners. The Attorney will leverage his, her or their legal services and expertise to advance individual and population health. This position is housed at Northern Nevada HOPES to lessen barriers to the access to justice.
• Ideal candidate must have excellent people skills, organizational skills, and a professional demeanor.
• Patience, initiative, creativity, and the ability to maximize the use of existing resources;
• Must be an outgoing person, comfortable with public speaking;
• Should be familiar with the practice of law, interviewing clients, and how local courts operate;
• Understands and is empathetic to the lives and struggles confronting low-income and vulnerable people in our community;
• An empathetic communicator with a positive attitude;
• Enjoys being a part of a great team of caring individuals;
• Loves challenges, dislikes being bored, and believes drama and gossip belong at the movies or at brunch, not at work.
• Works with Northern Nevada HOPES and other community health partners on developing systems to screen patients for health-harming social conditions and making referrals to WLS for legal services to address patients’ legal needs;
• Represents and assists patients who are referred to WLS;
• Tracks the legal, social, and health outcomes of the referred patients;
• Organizes legal education clinics for health care providers; patients/clients; and other community partners and stakeholders;
• Collaborates with the development teams at WLS and Northern Nevada HOPES to identify sources to fund the MLP program; and
• Provides legal services to WLS clients in other program areas when needed and other tasks that may be assigned to you by your director supervisor and/or the Executive Director.
The salary is depending on experience. WLS offers a generous benefits package (including paying 100% coverage for employee health benefits and 75% for dependents and 401(k) matching program), an excellent work-life balance, and the opportunity to gain valuable experience. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 14th, 2021 for immediate consideration. Applications accepted until the position is filled.