Child Advocacy Attorneys provide direct legal representation to abused and neglected children who are currently in foster care throughout Northern Nevada. Child Advocacy Attorneys assure protection of the child’s legal rights and provide a voice for the child in court and other settings allowing the child to take an active role in their own destiny.
Job duties may include the following:
- Establishing a relationship with the child client and maintaining regular contact for the duration of the action through in-person visits and/or phone calls.
- Working with a multidisciplinary team including the child, caseworkers, therapists, teachers, foster parents, attorneys, parents, and relatives, to help the child achieve a permanent placement.
- Representing the child in adjudicatory, placement, review, permanency, and termination hearings.
- Filing motions and appeals, as necessary.
Excellent communication skills a must. Must be comfortable drafting motions, oppositions and other briefs as well as appearing in a courtroom and other professional meetings in which teamwork is essential. Experience working with children preferred. Qualified candidates must possess an active and good standing Bar License from any United States jurisdiction.
Additional qualities desired:
- Is able to understand the lives and struggles confronting low-income and vulnerable people in our community.
- An empathetic communicator with a positive attitude.
- Enjoys being a part of a great team of caring individuals.
The salary is depending on experience (60,000-65,000 DOE). WLS offers a generous benefits package (including paying 100% coverage for employee health benefits and 75% for dependents and 401(k) matching program), an excellent work-life balance, and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of vulnerable children throughout Northern Nevada. Interested Nevada-licensed attorneys (or attorneys who are eligible to practice under SCR 72.1) should submit a cover letter, resume and brief writing sample to Jeff Briggs at firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration.