Washoe Legal Services, a non-profit, public interest law firm is seeking a Child Advocacy Attorney.
Child Advocacy Attorneys provide direct legal representation to abused and neglected children who are currently in foster care throughout Northern Nevada. Child Advocacy Attorneys assure protection of the child’s legal rights and provide a voice for the child in court and other settings allowing the child to take an active role in their own destiny.
Job duties may include the following
- Working with a multidisciplinary team including the child, caseworkers, therapists, teachers, foster parents, attorneys, parents, and relatives, to help the child achieve a permanent placement
- Establishing a relationship with the child client and maintain regular contact with the client through in-person visits and/or phone calls.
- Representing the child in adjudicatory, placement, review, permanency and termination hearings
- Filing motions and appeals.
Excellent legal writing and communication skills a must. Must be comfortable in a courtroom environment and in a professional environment in which teamwork is essential. Experience working with children preferred. Qualified candidates must possess an active and good standing Bar License from any United States jurisdiction.
Additional qualities desired:
- Able to understand the lives and struggles confronting low-income and vulnerable people in our community.
- An empathetic communicator with a positive attitude.
- Enjoys being a part of a great team of caring individuals
- Loves challenges, dislikes being bored, and believes drama and gossip belong at the movies or at brunch, not at work.
The salary is depending on experience (60,000-65,000). WLS offers a generous benefits package (including paying 100% coverage for employee health benefits and 75% for dependents and 401(k) matching program), an excellent work-life balance, and the opportunity to gain valuable court-room experience while making a difference in the lives of vulnerable children throughout Northern Nevada.
Interested Nevada-licensed attorneys (or attorneys who are eligible to practice under SCR 49.1) should submit a cover letter and resume to Olga Garcia at email@example.com.